History of the Kingdom Leuwenbourg

• Story

It all started in spring of the year 1213. Hieronymus von Leuwenbourg, in his free Imperial Knight, embarked on a crusade to Jerusalem. Exceptionally he took his family with him, which consisted of his wife and his three year old son. His younger brother remained on the native castle. The army of Crusaders needed a little more than 40 days for the journey. Hieronymus was brave and gained fame and honor for his emperor Otto IV. After about seven months in Jerusalem Hieronymus went homewards with his wife and son. But the ship, with which they were traveling got into a violent storm. The ship was far off course and at last it ran aground in front of an unknown land . The hull burst and many lost their lives. But Hieronymus, his wife and son plus about 40 people reached land, exhausted but a alive. First, they built a camp next to the coast. First they recovered there from the wreckage.

The hierarchy was clear from the very first beginning. Hieronymus was as a knight and this way the highest-ranking attendees, so he had the final say. Fortunately Hieronymus von Leuwenbourg was an educated and wise man with outstanding leadership qualities. This fact was a great blessing for the group of castaways. Hieronymus chose the strongest men. With them he succeeded to reach the wreck and they saved everything which was still usable. Tools, weapons and food. They dismantled the rest of the ship to build accommodation.

The next step was to explore the surroundings. A reconnaissance troop of experienced fighters was compiled. The squad was equipped for several days. But on the fourth day the troop returned and reported that the area wasn't populated, but it offers everything to survive for a indefinitely time. Hieronymus wondered where he was. He was surprised that this fruitful place was uninhabited. The first cards were drawn from the reports of the spies, showed a river island and a valley surrounded by high mountains.

Well, the conditions were perfect. There was virtually unlimited building materials. They could take wood from the vast forests and stones could be mined in the mountains. Hieronymus collected all survivors around. He explained to people that they would have to stay for a long time, maybe even forever . He asked people with craft skills to come forward. It was a stonemason, a builder, three construction and cabinet maker, two blacksmiths, one of them an armorer, and two carpenters among the survivors. They had all skills to build a fortified city. Hieronymus decided that the river island would be the best place, because here you have the strategic advantage of the natural protection by the river.

No sooner said than done. The provisional coast camp was canceled and moved to the island in the river. For this purpose, a transport raft was built to get everything on the island. All worked hand in hand. So the move was completed within one day. At sunset, the makeshift camp was on the island. First they recovered from hard work. The following morning, Hieronymus divided different squads. One group was sent to lumbering , another group went hunting. The last group went with two farmers on land and looked for suitable growing areas. Among the things they've rescued from the ship was a bag of cereal seeds. In the camp the blacksmiths built a furnace. Then they carried together the many iron fittings from the ship and they began to melt them.

The farmers started with the help of mercenaries, to clear the fields and to make them arable. The hunters returned after two days. And they came back not only with plenty of meat, they had four horses and three cows and two bulls behind them. They had accordingly not only a tired but above a self-satisfied expression. They immediately started to brag report. During they hound a herd of deers they discovered a lake in a small valley. There grazed a herd of wild horses peacefully next to a herd of cattles. The hunters knew immediately what a valuable find they have made.
      They immediately decided to try a capture of these animals. The hunter considered long, how they should proceed. Finally, the hunter agreed on a promising plan. Careful consideration they carried out their plan and were rewarded with success. Hieronymus praised the hunters for their great success.
      The knight asked the blacksmiths immediately to produce harnesses for the horses and the bulls. Then he sent the bulls to the loggers. They would be a big help with timber transport. Meanwhile, the farmers returned back to the camp. They reported too. They had cleared a large field with fertile soil and the roots were removed. But now they needed a plow. The Carpenters went to work and built a plow frame, the smiths brought the plowshares. Two horses were given to farmers to cope with the field work.
      The farmers had to hurry. The year was far advanced. The seeds had to fast in the earth.
      Meanwhile, the woodcutter met a with the first charge fresh whipped trees. The Joiners and carpenters working hand in hand and sawed boards from the trees. These were then stacked to dry properly. From other trees Squares and bars were cut.
      The stonemasons were not idle. They found useful rock formations where they could create a quarry.

A good way was taken. Everything one needed was time. But that was present in abundance. The wood dried, stones were hewn, mud bricks were baked, iron were forged, harvested cereals, bread was baked.
      Neighbors

The material storage grew rapidly. Thus the construction of houses began.
      First, only one-storey houses were built. After half a year there was no longer the camp. Instead, a small village of solid houses stood on the river island.
      Now Hieronymus of Leuwenbourg found that it was time to explore the surrounding area. Thus, the knight assembled a well-armed reconnaissance force of fifteen men. Since the village was well managed, Hieronymus personally led the squad. The men said goodbye to their families, if they had one, and broke up.
      The squad was mounted and advanced quickly. They soon reached the limits of the already explored area. A base camp was built at the foot of the mountains. Then the squad divided into three units. A troop was led by the experienced Landsknecht Hunold, the second by Lienhardt, also an experienced Landsknecht, and the third by Hieronymus himself. Each of the units was to look for ways to and through the mountains. Hieronymus himself discovered with his unit a high plateau. From here you had a great view over the valley and the island. Hieronymus saw in front of his spiritual eye at this point a Wehrburg, which stood over the valley and protected it. He nodded in agreement, for in an inner conversation he had decided to build a castle here.
      It began slowly to use the twilight and one hastened to return to the base camp. There everyone met again and exchanged their findings.
      Hunold told of a sort of passport that seemed to lead through the mountains. Hieronymus decided to investigate this later.
      Lienhardt reported on the sighting of a small homestead. The men said they had seen strange horses there too. It was certain that these horses had a horn on their heads.
      Lienhardt's unity earned incredulous glances and mockery.
      Knight Hieronymus stroked his beard thoughtfully, but he did not smile.
      He decided that the whole squad would leave at dawn and look at the matter.
      Before dawn the men prepared. They strengthened themselves with a good breakfast. Then they controlled weapons and equipment. The horses were saddled and saddled.
      With the first sunbeam the men climbed into the saddles. Hieronymus rode ahead and the men followed him.
      The horses were settled and they advanced well. At noon the ascent was accomplished and the farmstead on the high plain in sight.
      Knight Hieronymus looked at the property very precisely. He could not see animals, but a thin filament from the fireplace. He recognized that an unseen approach was impossible. From the farmstead one could see the surroundings well. There was no cover. However, the homestead also made no menacing impression. But Hieronymus knew that appearance might be deceptive. He told the men to be vigilant.
      Then they approached the farmyard eagerly.
      Only a few meters separated the squad from the Gate of the Court wall.
      Then an old man stood before the house. He wore a long leather coat and had long, white hair and a long beard. He looked at the men.
      Hieronymus felt that this look penetrated him to his bones, and he held the troop. The knight felt something special about this figure. But he could not have said what it was.
      Hieronymus rose from the horse and walked towards the open gate. The old man came to meet him. They met before the gate.
      Hieronymus bowed respectfully and introduced himself and his men, and briefly described the circumstances of how they had come here.
      The old man looked at him penetratingly from his ice-gray eyes.
      Hieronymus shivered a little; he had the feeling that this look reached his soul. Hieronymus concluded with the words, "Would you tell me who we have the pleasure of?" The old man's weathered face was almost imperceptibly smiling. "I'd like to do that. My name is Merlin Emrys”, he said with an unusually young and gentle voice that did not want to fit into his appearance at all.

Merlin

Hieronymus pulled his eyebrows together and stroked his beard thoughtfully.
      “The name is known to me. However, from an old English saga. It is about the English king named Artus Pendragon. All this has happened more than 500 years ago. So you cannot possibly be that Merlin”, he concluded.
      Merlin's smile widened. "I'm just this. Age is no problem for me. I belong to the circle of 10 druids to whom immortality has been given. I was born about 1000 years ago, the son of a druid of the circle of the 10th. At the age of 50 I moved to the circle of the 10th. My father died in the battle against a powerful black magus. Immortality refers only to biology. We do not age and do not get sick. Also injuries heal quickly and without trace. Even serious injuries. But death can befall us by beheading or a strong black magic curse. At least our body can then die. I know this is difficult for a mortal man to understand. Just take it as a given, "he told Hieronymus. His eyes had grown steadily and now resembled more subtropics. "I have questions now. Many questions. More than I could formulate, "said the knight, and continued: "My men reported horses with a horn. Can it be that unicorns actually exist? I always thought that were fairy tales. And what about our village now? You are a powerful magician and could drive us out here." Merlin nodded thoughtfully: "Yes, your men have seen correctly. In the woods all around live the last unicorns of this world. I have collected them here, where I can take care of them and take care of their protection. Even your village is under my protection, or do you think otherwise you could have found this land. The land is under a spell that makes it invisible to mortals. The storm has happened to you in these fields. I have been here for a long time. Already many lonely centuries. So I decided to leave you ashore. And seeing also that ye are good men."
      Hieronymus nodded: "That explains why this land is not listed on any sea chart."
      Merlin nodded, smiling. "That's a lot at a time. I do not know yet how to make my men and the others clear, "continued Hieronymus.
      Merlin reached out and put it on the shoulder of Hieronymus: "Do not worry about it, I'll stand by your side. The best way is to go to the village together. "" Agreed, but we do not have a reserve horse." "That's no problem. Actually, I could appear immediately in the village, but I'd rather leave it, that would trigger a panic. I've got my own riding animal, though, "Merlin said with a wide grin. He turned and spoke strange sounds. Thereupon a unicorn approached with bluish-bright fur. "This is Aingeal An Álainn.", Merlin introduced the beautiful unicorn. The unicorn lowered his head and Merlin touched the horn. A bright flash of light flashed and the unicorn looked like an ordinary horse.
      Amazingly, Hieronymus followed the events. Merlin led the horse through the gate and sat up. "What is? Can we? ", Merlin asked, grinning, as if nothing unusual had happened. Hieronymus shook his head in disgust and went back to his horse.
      The men looked at him questioningly. Hieronymus tried, as best he could, to bring his men up to date.
      Then a strange procession set in motion. Merlin rode beside Hieronymus and they were followed by 14 men with confused faces.

Urban development in timelapse

After a quiet ride, the squad arrived in the small hut village.
      Curious the inhabitants looked up from their work and looked at the stranger, who arrived with their people.
      Hieronymus rode to the square in the middle of the village. Then he went off and fetched a signal horn from his saddle-bag. He blew in and a penetrating tube sounded.
      All the villagers hurried to the village square.
      "Dear people," began Jerome to speak, "we have found the Lord of this land." Merlin had also descended and joined the knights. "This is Merlin Emrys. A mage of old days. "A whisper went through the crowd and the faces became frightened. "Be without fear. Merlin is well-disposed to us and a friend. He will now speak to you, "Jerome concluded.
      Merlin nodded and smiled kindly. Then he began: "First, I would like to welcome you. I am glad that you have found the way here. For too long I was alone with ... uh ... my animals. It's nice to have nice company again.
      As I see, you have already established quite well. It is always amazing what a group of people can do when they only hold together. "There was a buzzing murmur and the people relaxed. "As a sign of my hospitality, I would like to help you with your work." Merlin grinned mischievously. "But I need some help. You will see some miracles, but do not be afraid.
      One thing I must ask you, if I tell you, take your personal belongings and go to the other side of the river. And now I call my friends. Stay calm and move slowly, for they are very timid. "Merlin looked into expectant, slightly frightened-looking faces. He nodded kindly to the people.
      Then he raised a hand and Aingeal An Álainn joined him. Merlin put a hand on the "horse" and the air began to flicker. Suddenly stood Aingeal An Álainn with a blazing horn in all its splendor. Stunning Ohs and Ahs escaped the bystanders. They all knew the stories of the magical animals, but of course nobody has ever seen one. Merlin raised his arms and shouted, "Cairde, tar chugam. Is gá dom duit. "The horn of Aingeal An Álainn began to shine brightly and a vibrating buzz sounded.
      Then it was quiet. People hardly dared to breathe.
      Suddenly they felt the ground vibrate under their feet.
      And then the sound of thunderous hooves came to her ears.
      More than twenty unicorns were thundering towards the village with the mane weaving.
      Merlin just said, "Quiet. Do not move. "And smiled broadly.
      Just before Merlin the unicorn herd slowed their pace. They gathered around Merlin. He turned to the unicorns: "Go raibh maith agat as teacht. An mbeidh tú ag cabhrú liom? "A deafening neighing was the answer.
      Then Merlin said to the people, "Go now. Go to the other side of the river. "
      The people muttered with their belongings.
      After about three hours everyone had arrived. Accompanied by their horses and other pets. They all looked expectantly toward the river island.
      Merlin moved to the center of the island. Then he raised both arms.
      The unicorns are moving. They formed a wide circle around Merlin.
      All the horns flashed up and enveloped the island into a ghostly light.
      Then a mist came up, and the people on the river saw only blue glowing fog.
      The ground trembled beneath her feet.
      It took about half an hour. Then there was a bang that made the air tremble.
      People drove together. And her eyes widened as Merlin suddenly appeared in the middle of them. He looked a little exhausted and said, "Wait till the mist is gone."
      Banned all looked mute in the mist.
      Then the fog began to clear.
      Disbelieving amazement was now heard.
      The unicorns had disappeared and their own village.
      For this, the people looked at a city. With city walls and many houses.
      Watchtowers and city gates were visible. Even a Margrave Castle peeled out of the mist. Suddenly three bridges spanned the rivers.
      The eyes of the people could not get any bigger.
      Merlin grinned and said, "Welcome home. Welcome to the Kingdom of Leuwenbourg. "Knight Hieronymus of Leuwenbourg looked at Merlin completely bewildered. "It's quite so." Merlin grinned. "Now go into the city and look for your houses. I thought of everything. All houses are furnished. And under each bed there is a clean nightcap. See you soon, I have to rest a little. "Merlin waved to the people and disappeared with a plop.
      Hieronymus took the first step: "All right. Let's do what Merlin said." He swung his horse, crossed the new bridge, and rode through the new city gate into the city. At the same time, the knight ventured the word: "Unbelievable!"
      The other people slowly followed their leader. They were equally amazed by the brilliant new streets, admiring the splendid houses. It was all there. Hosts, guild houses, artisan houses, patrician houses, just everything. Again and again one knocked at the stones to make sure that it was not a dream. By the evening everybody had chosen his accommodation. Hieronymus, according to his position, lived in the Margrave Castle.
      It took a long time for people to sleep at night. And it certainly was not at the heavenly beds.

To be continued...